Friday, January 24, 2014

3 Things not to pay big for as an actor

After wrapping up yesterdays shoot I sat down with my client to help answer any questions she might have.  She is new to acting and wants to get into musical theater. She had a number of questions from "do I need an agent?" to " how do I put my resume on the back of my headshot?".  After I had answered most of her questions I asked if there was anything else she wanted some advice about. She started telling me about an audition she has in three weeks. She wanted to make sure that she would be able to have prints in that time. I assured her that she could have prints in her hands in as little as a few days. Then she showed me the audition announcement on her phone. It said that everyone auditioning had to pay $75.  I explained to her that occasionally actors will help with production by donating time or in some cases money but that is very rare. Typically if an actor donates anything it is because they are working for free and they pay out in their travel expenses and time to and from rehearsals and performances.

Since paying for agents, lessons.... comes up so often by new actors seeking my advice, I have included an article from Backstage. http://www.backstage.com/advice-for-actors/acting-teachers/3-things-not-to-pay-big-for-as-an-actor/

FYI - the photo I am including is not yesterdays client  but rather just a sample of my work. If you would like to see more of my work you can visit www.shotbyasavge.com

No comments:

Post a Comment